DD11 was, and is, very similar to this as well. Learning is in quantum leaps, after periods where you really can't tell anything is going on with her. We noticed it early, but didn't test until after 1st. At 7, we got reliable and helpful results that I'm not sure we would have gotten earlier.

There was a point where we had to let go of what I call "The Ramona Quimby fantasy." The one where DD walks with her little friends to the neighborhood school every day. DD continually pushed us to think more and more outside the box in terms of education.

DD is homeschooled and about 3 years accelerated. She attends classes, but it's nothing like a normal school. But that doesn't mean she loses out on having friends. She has friends at or near her age and gets along well with all ages of kids. She's really good at taking people where they're at and enjoying their company in context.

Yes, when she was little, it was difficult for her to relate to other youngsters. But it was WAY more difficult in the educational system that didn't work for her. In fact the more appropriate DD's educational environment is, the better she feels about herself and the better her social interactions are.

I guess what I'm saying is that homeschool solved her social problems, it didn't cause them.