DS 6 (just turned 6) tested as gifted last year. We pursued testing because of his struggles in school due to reading and writing. No LD were found but it was advised because of his youth we retest in a year if things had not improved.

After intense remediation over the summer and all last school year, he is performing on target (not advanced) in reading, and writing is still below expected for his age despite working on handwriting all summer.

It was advised after two weeks of the gifted reading pull out to stop because of the writing stress on DS, and not to try the math pull out because it wasn't recommended for him by his K teacher last year. I still think there is a LD. The ed. psych recommended testing in one year if there were still struggles.

I don't think I can wait! It's only been about 6-7 months so far, but already 1st grade writing is such a struggle for DS. And reading is a lot of work too. I asked the school for testing but who knows what will happen? Is it too soon to start the retesting process? If there's a diagnosis and we can get some accommodations for DS I think it would help him and the teacher. But if we test soon, is he still too young to find anything concrete and we'll have to retest again in another few months? So frustrated. Sorry if this should have been in the 2e section.

Life is the hardest teacher. It gives the test first and then teaches the lesson.