Update: the asst principal emailed us back. We were expecting the first interventions for the RTI process, accommodation recommendations for a 504 and an OT evaluation.

The classroom teacher completed an evaluation of a writing sample and he meets and exceeds grade-level writing standards. Their suggestion is to help him develop ideas and recognize misspellings with Tier 1 interventions (for example, underlining misspelled words). There was no formal documentation of this-only an email update.

There was no further mention of the 504 plan or the OT evaluation.

She ended the email as if the case was closed. This was our one ally and I feel we've lost her support. It's like she changed her whole tune. She was ready to act and now it seems she's done.

Do I fight for the 504? My concern is that, although he can meet grade-level standards now, he won't be able to later. If I get the 504 now, will it protect him later? I'm also afraid that he'll get kicked out of the gifted program because the writing is so demanding in there. Would a 504 protect him from that?

Here's the other piece-he's happy. He LOVES school. He hates writing, but he does it with no complaint at school (he doesn't complain about anything-ever). The teachers are happy. He meets the second grade standards and they have no concern whatsoever about the gap that exists in his ability and achievement. It seems DH and I are the only ones who are concerned, which makes me feel a little crazy.

I have found this school to be entirely inflexible with every dealing I've had with them. I'm not sure how to approach them anymore.