Originally Posted by NikiHarp
So, am I understanding correctly that the speech-language issue would still fall under the SLD in written expression?

Yes, I think so - depending on what the SLP testing shows. But when you are starting an IEP eligibility review, you request an SLP eval specifically, and this is not part of the standard testing for SLD/whatever category - it's separate (or at least it's separated out in our school district on the eligibility check sheet). The idea with the eligibility review is that you bring your concerns forward and the team decides what type of testing/evaluation needs to be included - you don't necessarily have to know going in that the issue is SLD or something else. aeh will be able to answer this question better than I can smile

Thank you both. I do think the school would be willing to provide some of these accommodations but I'm not sure they will see the need for additional assessment, especially if the school psych has to approve/administer it.

Do you think there's an issue with budget or time re the school psych? Or is it the psych's personality or bias re the need for testing that is the concern? Keep in mind that the speech eval will be given by an SLP, not the school psych. I think that if you are clear in explaining why you are making the request and you include evidence to back up your request (school work for example, or a history of issues your ds has had) and tie that to a pattern of inability to express his thoughts, then simply be kind and persistent in your request, the school staff can't really argue against the request for an SLP eval. Once you have the eval, they may be able to successfully argue that your ds' scores don't qualify him for services under their policy matrix (whatever it is) but the *request* for an eval by parents with a legitimate concern, is something they should honor.

Best wishes,

polarbear