And I'll add that, even if the school doesn't write SLP eval on the consent form, you have a right to add it--there's a check box that says something to the effect of, "I consent to the evaluation, and request additional evaluation in the following areas:" and then you would write in speech and language evaluation. The SLP is almost always a different person from the SP, so they don't have to agree with your request in order for you to get a good eval. The design of eligibility determination is that a list of concerns and needs is brought to the team, which results in areas to be assessed. The actual determination of disability comes relatively late, after the team has gathered information. As an evaluator, I prefer to receive a list of the parent's (or teacher, or other referrer) concerns and observations, rather than a speculative diagnosis. I find that it tends to shut down objective evaluation and problem-solving, with preconceived notions. I've mentioned before that writing a line or two about your top concerns, your name, and your contact info directly on the signature page increases your chances of a direct contact by the evaluator. Also, once you've sent in your consent form, call and ask who the case has been assigned to for testing, and get their contact info. In my case, I more commonly find myself chasing parents, trying to get involvement from them, so I always make a point to call and hear their concerns and history, if a parent makes an overture of this sort.

Everything I've said about SLP applies to any other reasonable assessment that hasn't been printed on the consent form already (OT, achievement, phonological processing, comprehensive assessment of written language (e.g., TOWL)).

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...