Originally Posted by 2xLucky
CAN'T DO

1) Can't write well, can't write without pain and fatigue.
2) Can't spell without lots of practice and support - transposes letters, etc. (Vision issues are related to print size)
3) Can't catch small balls but can catch bigger balls.
4) Can't push tricycle pedals, can't walk on balance beam.
5) Very clumsy, bumping into corners, trips on his feet, spills drinks all the time (thanks wow cup).
6) Trouble with fine motor like buttons, snaps, opening containers, eating salad with a fork is very difficult for him.
7) Can't follow directional instructions and will look nowhere or wrong place, etc.

Because of these various things, his ped referred us for the eval. suspecting some type of developmental challenge.

Lucky, I can't help you with the scores, but fwiw everything you've listed above sounds a lot like my ds who has Developmental Coordination Disorder (a lot of the things your ds *can* do also sound very similar to my ds at his age… including the Minecraft lol!).

The neuropsych veal will include tests beyond just ability and achievement, which will help tease out what might be causing the discrepancy in the subtest scores, and also some of what you are seeing at home (i.e., is it fine motor, is it vision, is it something else).

The biggest problem we face is trying to find out where his ceiling and floors are so that we can tailor his lessons better. We are literally confused as to whether to push him to do more or to do less? Is it hot housing if he likes to do stuff? Do we stop him if he's been watching math videos for 3 hours straight? Do we push, if he gives up writing or spelling after 5 minutes?

If it was me (and I'm only a parent with a 2e child, not an expert on education :)), I'd follow his lead for now, and let the things he has trouble with take a backseat until you've had the neurospych and any follow-up evals (OT, vision, whatever the neuropsych recommends). You will then have a meaningful plan (hopefully!) instead of basically trying to guess how to move forward in the areas he's pushing back in such as writing. OTOH, in his areas of passion, I'd let him fly (i.e., take it as far as he wants to go).

So yes, any feedback on the scores could be very helpful as we have at least 5 months of waiting and I'm sure a few more months after that to get a report.

I can't imagine you'd have to wait several months for the report - we've had immediate verbal feedback the day of our neuropsychs, and a meaningful draft report with parent follow-up interview usually within two weeks - have you heard from other people who use this psych that the report takes several months?

Best wishes,

polarbear