I think DS did (in K) and will continue to demonstrate his ability in the classroom, but part of the problem here will be the level to which he can demonstrate. That is, if he is only ASKED to demonstrate to 1st grade level (in a typical 1st grade classroom), but the WIAT places his abilities from those of an average 4th grade through over 12th grader (yes, I realize that I need to take AE and GEs with a grain of salt), CAN he demonstrate his full abilities? I am guessing that he cannot. I am guessing we run into the "but he's at the 99th percentile" (for grade) scenario again.

Unfortunately, the policy then goes onto describe the current practices described earlier in the thread with the 3rd grade identification. Interestingly, the practices for K-2 still discuss the use of enrichment, but as I've mentioned earlier - from what other parents have told me, this enrichment resource is now being diverted towards the "Common Core." The policy listed does not mention this. Also, NOTHING is mentioned about math.