I have been reading a great deal - I have a copy of the IAS, and although I probably COULD argue for a whole grade skip (and make the case that he is an excellent candidate), this would be my LAST choice option (if there were absolutely no better alternatives). I have family members who have been skipped (they are now adults) and they do not reflect positively on the social experience (academically, they were fine). I am admittedly biased by my family here.

This will be DS's first "full day" year of school. I would like him to be expected to act like the newly turned 6-year-old that he is - not a 7 or 8 year old (lots of hold-backs in our area, and skipping a grade might place him with boys MUCH older on average), KWIM? He is extremely well-behaved, but sensitive.

I guess I'm realizing that I'd prefer subject acceleration over a full grade skip. I'd like him to do gym and even writing with his first grade class (his handwriting looks like it belongs to a 1st grade boy - although the content that accompanies the immature handwriting is hilarious, because it is pretty advanced). Still, this might be a very tough thing for the school to do.

blackcat - we have some personnel changes going on in the district, but there does NOT appear to be one coordinator! How do you feel that the "enrichment packets" are working? The fear that I'd have with that is a lack of actual instruction from the teacher during the school year. Although DS is pretty compliant, I'd like for him, as a first grader, to have a TEACHER TEACHING him what he needs to learn next, than being expected to learn on his own, KWIM?

If he was sent up for math to second - there IS differentiation. If he worked with the higher second graders, it actually might actually not be a poor fit at all. I think I face an uphill battle with asking for any of this, though.

Did anyone actually use their outside test scores with their schools and have some success with them? The school will probably think that I am a horrible Tiger Mom for having him tested in the first place, but I feel somewhat vindicated by the scores themselves (he tested well). They at least seem more objective than me simply telling them, "mommy thinks her DS is very bright."

I am no good at this! Ugh!