Hi all! So DS6 was finally tested this summer (WISC and WIAT) and as the day for the start of 1st grade draws near, I am getting nervous. I do not even know how/when to approach the school/teacher or what to ask for. The school has no formal gifted program until 3rd grade and enrichment has been cut back due to resources going to support students who need to meet the standards of "the Common Core." DS's tester told me that 1st grade would be "a waste of time" for him (not something a parent wishes to hear right before the start of school!).

DS clearly needs something different, but I am not sure how to approach the school or new teacher.

DS is the younger sibling of a DYS who was tested to see if he might be able to participate in DYS, too (especially because the lack of a gifted program for the next couple of years at school). We have not yet applied (final pieces of application might be ready by end of month), but it takes a while, even if accepted, to get everything in place. Also, I still need to work with the school.

Does anyone have any advice on the best way to approach the school or teacher? What was most effective for you and your DC?

TIA!