WM
Digital Span 10/8
Letter-number sequencing 9/10
Arithmetic 10/9

PS
Coding 43/11
Symbol Search 26/13
CA 45/9

I am not sure what all of this means. I just want to ensure she doesn't have a LD that we may not know about. I feel bad. I probably shouldn't have had her tested when I did. We completed a cross country move a couple of weeks ago, she was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea, and she knows I am leaving for several months in a couple of weeks. I think she may have been too stressed out for testing.

There is definitely something fishy about the spread of those scores that suggests that they're are depressed to no small degree. For example, comprehension and vocabulary have a correlation of 0.74, yet there was a four point difference in her scores on those tests.

Secondly, two of the subtests that enter into the perceptual reasoning index, picture concepts and matrix reasoning, are measures of fluid reasoning. Fluid reasoning correlates perfectly with full-scale IQ (i.e., 100% of the shared variance for those tests is pure g). On both of those tests, your daughter performed exceptionally well.

Her low digit-span score also suggests a degree of anxiety during the time that she was tested. Block design measures a narrow CHC theory ability known as "spatial relations," and it is known that males tend to perform significantly better than females on such tasks. This is not because men are more intelligent (the average IQ of the genders is essentially the same), but because such abilities tend to be positively correlated with testosterone level up to a maximum threshold. If her block design score were compared to the female population exclusively, her scaled score would undoubtedly be higher. This again suggests a spuriously low reported IQ.

It is not uncommon for parents to overestimate the abilities of their children, but I think that in this case your daughter's test scores are the result of temporary psychological impediments such as the aforesaid sleep apnea and anxiety associated with your expected departure. Her actual full-scale IQ may be well in excess of 130.

Last edited by Frank22; 08/08/14 03:40 AM.