Originally Posted by polarbear
I know I'm beginning to sound like a broken record on this, but the anxiety may very well be a which-came-first chicken-or-egg issue. It was for my ds - we landed at a neuropsych initially because his anxiety was so sky high he was having panic attacks and imagining horrible things were going to happen to him. We went in thinking it was all anxiety, found out he had undiagnosed LDs, and once those LDs were accommodated the anxiety went away. Completely.
Thanks this is very helpful, it's one of the reasons I keep posting here. You have such good insights. In the past and it's what I need to hear. I know.. I have to get the formal report, hear why DS has to say, talk with his psychologist and education therapist to form a plan. Figure out how to prioritize.

The one thing I'm struggling with is if I should purse the medication for anxiety angle or not. This old friend who told me the story of her son (I will not repeat here since it's not my story to tell but he is a rising senior and fell apart sophomore year) and how what she just told me she regretted was not starting medication sooner.

I consider the social aspect very important. When my DD (who has LD's) was in middle school I demanded that they find a way to accommodate her while leaving her in choir. It was very frustrating that the very thing that helps kids with LD's self esteem, art classes, and music are often dropped in junior high/high school to make room for their special ed.

Although one thing I am considering is dropped DS's private music lessons. We love the teacher, but it's a bit of a drive and I don't feel DS's is getting much out of it at this time. During the school year he is in band almost every day.

Last edited by bluemagic; 08/05/14 12:13 PM.