Originally Posted by bluemagic
The testing still left the written language disorder still a possibility. But because of his high anxiety around writing she wasn't able to tease that detail out.

I am posting as a fly-by at the moment, so quick without time for detail - and I hate to suggest something that remotely seems to add anything else to what probably already seems like an overwhelmingly long list of to-dos… but… you might want to consider adding in some further testing to help understand the root of the writing issues. An SLP evaluation (for expressive language) and the TOWL (Test of Written Language). You can probably ask the school to provide both of these.

Along with the anxiety it's clear that interest makes a HUGE difference and clearly significantly affected the testing.

Just out of curiosity - how was the tester able to clearly determine it was interest? I find with my ds that many times when he appears to not be interested it is actually rooted in his learning challenges and resulting anxiety. Unless it's something as totally clear-cut as he's passionate about subject A and totally doesn't care about ever learning about subject B. On testing like this, though, I think it's a real possibility that something that looks like disinterest or disengagement might actually mean there's a hidden struggle there and detaching is the way the student has learned to cope.

She also had a LONG list of what would be helpful for him, working with his psychologist, working with the education therapist, more social skills class, cognitive behavior therapy. Honestly there isn't time to do all this, and classes and homework, and his fun/social activities like band and robotics, and Aikido. At some point we are going to have to pick and choose.

Prioritizing will also help - and you can ask for input on this from the person who did the testing. I think it's really important to leave room for fun and also for academics that *aren't* challenging in an LD-way but are interesting and challenging intellectually. It's also possible that the school may be able to provide some of what is recommended (maybe some overlap with what the educational therapist would provide, for instance).

Last thing I'd suggest - be sure the tester provides a GAI in the report (this is the number that leaves WM and PSI out of the calculation, and is an important # to have when you're advocating for advanced classes/gifted services etc.

I'm glad you have the testing (so far) completed, and that you have information and data now - I hope you'll find it helpful as you move forward and advocate!

Best wishes,

polarbear

Last edited by polarbear; 08/04/14 04:33 PM.