We are more interested in the self-paced features and access to above grade level courses.

I tend to think that MOST schools using this kind of model are going to be okay with both of those things. That is, there won't be huge pragmatic differences at the secondary level. The reason is that two things have to be true:

1. Accreditation/transcript-building provides a fairly hard boundary on "self-paced" learning the way that most of us probably consider it here-- that is, sure, you can work as fast as you like, but it's NOT going to be like ALEKS, Khan, or EPGY open, where you can just smoothly run through one, two, or three years' worth of curriculum on a single course registration. So yes, you CAN do algebra II in three weeks. Knock yourself out. BUT-- you'll be generating a grade which is tied (more or less) to one semester of a transcript. Now, where the flexibility happens is in a willingness to allow for concurrent registration-- or LATE registration-- to courses. How far will they push that envelope for really capable kids, hmm? Well, I know for a fact that once Connections realizes that they are dealing with a EG/PG student, they'll push it pretty darned far. DD added AP US History semester B in MARCH. Three full weeks into spring term, and without having had semester A. It took five minutes. So being a student/family that pretty much has a blank check with stuff like that can really help.

2. No problem. At least not inherently-- it is WAY easier to shift students and staffing needs virtually than in a bricks-and-mortar setting. DD took "senior" level classes starting at about 11yo, and continued doing so all through high school. High school courses were available to her in middle school, as well, since she was GT. We were a bit reluctant since there were snags regarding credit, etc. So she got Math on her high school transcripts starting at 9yo, but wouldn't have gotten credit for computer science electives... but-- they said she could TAKE THEM AGAIN for high school credit once she was in high school. (Yeah; repetition? NO thank you. I think they missed the point re: why that would be counterproductive).

The bottom line, though, is that you can have EITHER a "real-class, with classmates and a teacher working together in real-time" or you can have "self-paced." If you choose the one, you lose the other. Sure, you can watch recordings (unless you're working out AHEAD of your classmates, that is-- which, um-- yeah... that DOES tend to be what most of our kids are likely to be doing)-- but you won't get the interaction.

My DD eventually found that the trade was something she didn't want to do. So she worked FEWER HOURS, at lower effort-level, so as to keep in step with the course schedule, and participate actively. I recommend that approach, by the way, because otherwise, you're hamstringing the ability of teachers to speak at length about the student on letters of recommendation. smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.