Originally Posted by GF2
Good experiences. There is a critical mass of gifted kids and a dedicated (in both senses) group of gifted teachers. They always "get it" when I ask for customization, and they are responsive and sensitive. Acceleration is simple -- pick the level your kid is ready for, and take it. My 7th grader took Honors 10th grade English and Honors Algebra and HS French, all no problem. As a 9th grader, DC will be taking AP classes.
Can I ask what literature you kid read in the 10th grade English class? Are they willing to accommodate to state/district choices? My dream for next year would accept would be to "homeschool/online" school my son just English next year. (While still enrolled at the H.S.) I have a friend who used Laurel Springs as online "summer" classes so I know the district allows these classes to count. I am already hiring a tutor to help him with his writing and I would have her help him.

All that said this is just a dream. I really really doubt I could manage to convince my son's H.S. to allow him to not be enrolled in a "required" class like English. Even if the testing this we are planning to do this summer does show 2E and that they really don't have a class that works for him.

P.S. Looked this up online, and answered my own questions. Seems that if I wanted to align with what my son would be taking next yer in 10th, he would have to take the American Literature 11th grade course. And the literature of the Laurel Springs honors class is WAY more interested than the non-honors version.

Last edited by bluemagic; 06/16/14 11:52 AM.