Originally Posted by JonLaw
Originally Posted by ashley
I have seen PG adults burnout. But that has been in a field of work where the pressure is tremendous and people demand results on tight schedules.

My thought about that friend's child is that maybe that child really was PG. And even if his passion was not math, he was able to perform at a high level just because of his LOG. And then, by high school age, he figured out that math was really not what he wanted to do and decided not to pursue it. I have a nephew who is PG and pursued an engineering degree because his family expected him to. Now, at 24, he does not want to work as an engineer and is spending all his time composing music on his guitar and trying to write novels.

I was burnt out by the end of high school. You can perform at a high level just because of your high level of intelligence.

Because I was burnt out, I figure I only performed at about 30% of capacity in college (and law school, for that matter).

I obtained an engineering degree because it was free and my parents decided it was a good idea. I didn't have any actual interest in it.

Granted, I never really found any meaningful interests to pursue whatsoever, so I'm envious of the composer/writer.

This possibility in my own DD (similarly able but not highly passionate about... well, much of anything in particular) terrifies us.

Her college major is a combination of what WE think will eventually suit her (and what she's ultimately expressed the most passion for that is scarce enough to be in high demand) and what the first faculty member who "adopted" her is into. It worries us.

I'm laughing at Portia's second post in this thread though-- point #2-- makes me both chuckle... and shake my head. DD has the same pattern-- she never even gets to stage 2 of "let me show you who I really am" with most people. It's made her a bit stand-offish socially, though most people never know because her facade is pretty darned good.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.