I lived in a town for a while that was well known for extreme tiger parents and had a friend who, in retrospect, was most likely HG or PG. She did well, but her sister who was suppose to be even more gifted flamed out and was supported by her parents even into her 30s. They both grew up in the same town and in the same environment but one thrived and the other completely burned out by early high school.

There was definitely extreme tiger-parenting in my town - and so many examples of "burnouts" by kids that other parents would say "oh, he was so smart - he was destined for great things, what happened?".

It is not LOG - I feel it is a combination of the environment AND the person's temperament more than LOG for burn out.

I definitely see "burnout" so much more in the sports world, from kids who spent so many years dedicated to their sport (especially in year-round sports) and then one day had enough and decide to do something else.

As others mention - balance is key. Obsession in a single area can be unhealthy - and I know, having walked that line in the sports world and seen people fall on the other side of that line in my sport.