Such great responses and support here. Thanks so much to everyone who has responded and please keep the responses coming. I so wish I could invite many of you over and we could chat in real life. Though I live in a great place, in some ways it can be lonely with regard to dealing with issues around raising children who are like ours.

If I happen to see my son's teacher again, I will follow up with him to get some clarification about his statements. I won't go out of my way though.

We have been soooo lucky with this camp. Though the bar is relatively low to be admitted, 3 out of the 4 teachers that my son has had at this camp have been great. They recognize his passions and his gifts and work with him accordingly. They not only accept him for who he is but they encourage him to grow. This is probably the most important part of the experience for him. It's really the first place where he has had grown ups (aside from his parents and preschool teachers) who are appropriately positive with him and do what they can to meet his needs. I think we may get one more year out of this camp.