Sounds like your DS is growing up in the same kind of STEM immersion environment that our home has provided for our DD! She can come across as way more knowledgeable (well, more than WE think that she is, anyway) to adults that don't know this about her-- but it's just because of things like that.

She started doing real experiments with controls and everything (and talking to us in an organic kind of way about variables-- controlled and uncontrolled, and onward from there) along with learning algebra and basic writing skills. To her, there is no bright line that divides "science" from "reality" or "daily living."

From my perspective, it doesn't have to be complicated to be sophisticated, and you can grow the types of questions you can (realistically) explore as his math skills grow.

DD was thrilled to take AP Physics and Stats in high school, and immediately saw the applications and extensions in what she was learning. She also went back to things she had been stymied by in earlier investigations-- which surprised me some. She did this experiment re: acid raid and geology at about 8 that she didn't (yet) possess the statistical understanding to fully ANALYZE. As soon as she saw how to do two-tailed t testing, she was all over it again, and with a great deal of satisfaction for having finally figured out something that had been brewing at the back of her brain for years.

It's all part of the big picture with a child that thinks about things this way. smile All of that to say-- just keep doing what you're doing. In growing a scientist or engineer, the best thing to do is stay out of the way as much as you can. wink Avoid asking things like; "What IS that thing?? And why is it stinking up my living room?" or "Is ____ on fire/smashed/painted for a reason?" LOL!

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.