Originally Posted by bluemagic
Originally Posted by Quantum2003
This means that DS will likely be taking either Linear Algebra or Differential Equations as a Junior or Senior even if he also takes the "sideways" option of Statistics as a Junior/Senior. Although Linear Algebra and Differential Equations are harder than Calculus, they are also natural progressions so not necessarily harder to ace.
My personal opinion is that Linear Algebra is easier than Calculus, and it doesn't really require Calculus. I don't see it as being any harder.

You got me thinking about it and I realize the word "harder" may not be sufficiently adequate. Perhaps I am thinking about the potential for depth in the sense that you can more readily separate the mathematically talented from the merely smart than in a basic course like Calculus. I did not study Linear Algebra until college and while I ace the course as easily as Calculus, it was more intellectually sophisticated than my three semesters of Calculus AB and Calculus BC during High School. While all my classmates in Linear Algebra aced their high school calculus courses, not all of them aced Linear Algebra or mastered/extended the concepts as required by the course.