I am reading all sorts of technical assistance papers on the ACCEL law here in FL. I really think that on a state level the ACCEL law is very pro gifted. (At the school level I think things are still small battle after small battle). Supposedly one of the things under this law is that the schools have to inform you of your options.

The thing is at this time you as a parent have to know that it exists and understand it. From my advocacy at the beginning of last year, speaking with the gifted district level person, if you trot out the words "I would like to discuss options under ACCEL" you have your ticket. If you don't use the magic words, you get the run around.

One thing that I just saw that is interesting is that elementary students and middle school students (and we already have many many 8th graders getting high school credit for math and science classes and the grades go on the transcript so that is nothing new)now can bank high school credits. AND the funny thing is they don't even have to take the actual class through the school system...so if they are a full time elementary school student and they pass the EOC for a high school class they can bank that credit for high school credit...it is called some sort of CAP program...but I can't find what CAP stands for.

Here is an interesting overview (it has some extraneous info involving funding for the districts but it is very interesting).

http://www.fldoe.org/bii/Gifted_Ed/

Look under Technical Assistance Papers...the last link in that section.