Originally Posted by bluemagic
Originally Posted by islandofapples
I think she might be at the tail-end of kindergarten, but I'm not sure.
I think you underestimate the current curriculum currently in K. . Ten years ago the minimum standards included reading at least 100 sight words, knowing & writing all their letters, counting to 100, skip counting (by 2's) to 100. I don't remember everything but there is a lot more.

I see nothing wrong with your plan as long as you keep it fun and at her pace. Honestly I wouldn't call it homeschooling at this point. As for resources when my son was at this age we liked the "Bob" books but I know others here didn't like them as much. At this age you really don't need to do anything formal and IMO I think that is best. You can teach a lot while playing. Get lots of paper, crayons, scissors and do a lot of drawing. Encorage your daughter to draw stories and 'write' the story herself. Even if it's not legible. Take trips to the library, take out books of a variety of levels and about a variety of subjects. For math you can use almost anything and add it in while doing everything. Count up the toys, learn to skip count the grapes. Figure out if you have enough carrots for everyone to have 2 each.

Personally I don't like flashcards, or workbooks for this age. Make everything a game and have fun.

Good Luck

Great advice!!

If you can find copies of Peggy Kaye's books-- she has one for literacy and one for numeracy both have "Games" in the title, and are descriptive and pretty extensive-- and more importantly, respectful of different learning styles and developmental arc of young children; I strongly recommend those.

Hunt around and see if you can find any scope-and-sequence documents for your local (or state) schools, just to have a good idea where your child stands. That way you'll have a better idea what to do with standardized testing later, since for achievement batteries, you have to know what "level" to choose.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.