I really appreciate everyone who has taken the time to respond. It allows me some possible insight into E's world.

Sometimes she's very upset about her lack of friends; and other times she's happily playing alone, pretending, dressing up, doing a puzzle, reading her presidents books, creating a mess (i mean art ;-)) I do not care one bit if she only has 1 friend or 1449; I just don't want her self esteem to take a significant hit while we're figuring it all out.

another point of concern is possible prenatal exposure to alcohol, cocaine, and marijuana until about the 4th month of pregnancy. her birthmom is a recovering addict, but did struggle during the first part of her pregnancy.

Polarbear-other than socially, I don't see her consistently struggle academically yet. She definitely prefers reading over math, but sometimes her brain just "clicks" in math...I don't know how else to describe it. It has to be on her terms..for instance, the other night she was counting by 6's, 7's, and 8's fairly quickly. If I asked her to do it, she wouldn't be able to as quickly. The other thing, she doesn't do well on comprehension tests at school, but she can summarize a story she's read very well at home. I think that's due to distraction/inattention. Once I challenged her to get 100% on her comp test, and she did. She was very excited to bring it home to show me she did it. Then she missed 3 questions on the next test. Inconsistent. She is a phenomenal speller.

I'm very interested in the visual issue...dd intermittently complains her eyes bother her. I had chalked it up to allergy symptoms. She's had a normal ophthalmology exam, which I just now realize is different than a developmental optometrist exam.

Since school is already out, my plan is to research this summer the laws regarding 504s and IEPs. I had placed a phone call to an educational advocate a few months ago. I never heard back, and I've been so overwhelmed, I never followed up. I've emailed her OT to see if she is doing social skills groups this summer. I already filled out the form for a neuropsych to get started. My new insurance kicks in July 1st. The other thing I'm excited about (I don't get out much), is the only developmental optometrist in the area takes my new insurance, too. I may go ahead and make an appt for dd, since I'm not sure of the wait time on the neuropsych.