I'm a long time lurker (even before I signed up), first time poster. I apologize in advance for the length.

My dd is 8 and in second grade, dx'd in 11/13 with adjustment d/o (more anxiety). Started her on Prozac which helped her daily crying at school, but didn't help her behavior at school. Academically, she's been strong, but honestly, I don't think she's been challenged since she started school. I was finally ready to admit she had impulsiveness and hyperactivity a few months later, and in 2/14 we started Concerta. It was my *duh!* moment.

Another health issue my dd deals with is precocious puberty. It was caught last yr at age 6, which was about when her behavior deteriorated in school. I noticed a lot of inattention at home over last summer. The treatment only really helps to slow down the process of puberty. Her endo thinks most of what we are seeing in regards to mental health is the effects of estrogen on a young brain. she is no where near ready to start puberty. I'm not ready for that, either, lol.

I've gone back and forth on the "is she gifted?" issue. I do think she is in some realms (language, reading, creativity, history), and maybe average to above average in others (maths, science). I think it's mostly interest driven. You can show her a picture of a president, and she knows first, middle, and last name. She also knows most of the first ladies, along with random information she's read. I'm a history idiot. She remembers things she's learned once, makes connections on her own, and has a large vocabulary.

On the other hand, I've met some very obviously gifted children, and I have my doubts she is above moderately gifted. I do not care either way, and up until recently, I've just supplemented her craving for learning at home.

Now I'm wondering if the possible giftedness (as well as her adhd/anxiety) is affecting her inability to make friends and keep them. She was crying to me the other night that she has no friends. Unfortunately, her wonderful school last year was a victim to budget cuts and was closed. She's at a new school this year. She does know some kids at this school from last year, and I volunteer as much as I can on my days off from work (I'm a single mom and work full time). I did have an assessment done in 12/13, but she was having a good day that day. He did see some impulsiveness, but he said dd was by far not the most disruptive in class. Not very helpful, in my opinion. I've had her diagnosed via private doctor b/c I know how tight $$ is in our district, and I'm not about to depend on them for a diagnosis. I am in the process of getting dd a 504.

I'm having a hard time determining why dd isn't making friends. There are some mean (angry and sad) kids in her class, but I know dd overreacts when she is overstimulated (we have an OT who has put together a sensory diet for dd...unfortunately, most of the calming things are less possible in a school setting. she verbalizes that she wants to make friends, and she seems perfectly happy with just having one or 2. She's gotten into a pattern of having one friend she is hot and cold with (different child this year from last year). I suspect sometimes dd misreads other children's intentions, overreacts and turns the other children off. Many kids have called her a cry baby from when she was crying daily in the beginning of the school year. Now she reacts more with anger, but it still has the same isolating effect. She does do better one on one.

I'm just trying to figure out the road map. I am taking a new job with better insurance, so I intend to get on a waiting list for a neuropsych. I'd like to have a second opinion on dd's dx's as well as an inventory of her strengths and weaknesses. I'm worried what an increase in workload will do to her. She's very unorganized, and I have to work very hard to keep everything consistent. It doesn't help that her dad and I are divorced, but we get along very well.

She's seen a therapist on the past, and we have an appt in a week and half to start again. She's mostly a talk therapist, and we tried her before the Concerta, but despite "knowing" what dd should do, she just couldn't "do" it, if that makes sense. Perhaps now she has better self control and can implement learned strategies now. What kind of therapy has worked for your kids in the past?

What else should I be doing? I have her signed up to be tested for gifted, but the guidance counselor seems very young and overwhelmed. They use the kbit 2 to screen, and from what i've read, it's a very brief test. If dd is in a mood, I can easily see how that will affect the test results. I certainly do not want to have her be part of a program that is too advanced for her, but I do wonder if a lack of peers is contributing to her problem. She gets very annoyed/frustrated by her same-age mates. She tends to play with older girls, or like a big sister to younger girls. I wish she came with a manual.

Sorry this is so disorganized. Despite the fact my dd was adopted, she and I share the diagnoses of anxiety and adhd. i've been reassured that i didn't "give" her adhd...but i'm sure my anxiety has an effect on her.