Leyla, it's still not completely clear what your goals are-- or what your child's goals might be. I'd offer specific advice on that basis, but don't feel that I have a good handle on what you're asking about. So instead, I'll offer advice to my ten-years-ago self, instead. wink

Okay, I have a 14yo graduating senior in high school, who was, at your child's age, quite similar, it sounds. She was motivated and clearly gifted at piano, and chafing for more performance time (or so it seemed).

She lost interest as difficulty increased in the classical and baroque repertoire (which her teacher specializes in)-- her progress wasn't as rapid and for that reason, the rewards were slower in coming, providing her with less motivation. She also was NOT interested in piano competitions.

We have offered other instruments over the years, because yes, piano is inherently not as good an "ensemble" instrument as some others. However, she's never seriously wanted to quit, either, and she loves to use the piano as a means of coping with emotional intensity.

She simply likes a different style of music than what she has needed in order to hone technique.

All of that to say that I'd have been worried about possible conservatory work at 8yo, too, and in the end, she didn't really use it to "pad" her college resume in the least, has done no competitions, and simply ENJOYS playing-- for herself. That's enough, in our opinion, and we feel that she is likely to continue playing, which was our ultimate goal.

Some ideas to make playing more interesting/exciting:

* nursing home/etc, in the community, as others have noted

* musical theater? If you have community theater, special children's events, etc, this could be a GREAT way to expand into 20th century popular music and more improvisational work.

* composing?

* Recording-- put up a YouTube channel!

As for other instruments... what does your child have INTEREST in? What musical genres? Those are considerations. I would say that flute is best for chamber ensemble work in folk or classical genres, but not a lot else outside of symphonic and marching band work. It kind of bites as a jazz, pop, world, or 'social' instrument, truth be told. I enjoyed marching band a ton, but not enough to keep doing it in college.

Personally, unless my child WANTED to play the oboe, I wouldn't do it. I know no fewer than five parents who have specifically got their kids studying oboe right now-- all of them in high school-- for the express purpose of pursuing a "good scholarship" instrument. {sigh} Only one of those kids is doing it because they simply LOVE the instrument.

My personal list of less-common but still extremely useful and versatile small instruments includes:

viola
baritone saxophone
alto saxophone
English Horn
recorder (for students with interests in traditional/early music)
clarinet (way less common than it used to be!!)
trombone (but getting large for smaller kids)
accordion (yes, really)
percussion of various types
classical guitar

Also-- don't overlook the other related-to-piano instruments-- chimes, marimba, xylophone, harp, etc.

I'd see what she prefers to listen to and enjoys AS MUSIC, because that will govern so much more of her willingness to practice and tackle difficulty as she grows older. If I knew then what I know now, I'd have had DD play an instrument other than piano, because she really doesn't like LISTENING to piano. She likes listening to plucked string instruments, or reed instruments.

With a child this age, as others have said, you also have to consider genetic potential (as well as current) physiology.

Practicing is ideally NOT hard work-- because physiologically, it should be natural to develop good technique just by working WITH your own body-- and subsequently, more or less effortless to practice good technique and ergonomics. That's the kind of instrument-match that I think is ideal for kids, truthfully. Different kids, different instruments.

smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.