Thanks all. I have spoken to the new administrator. Her responses to my questions were not great...."all the children at this school are gifted" so acceleration is not necessary. Just more of the standard bad responses I read from others on this website.

Part of the issue is that we would be applying for DS during the prime entry point for this school. He could possibly get into the school during a subsequent year, but I wouldn't count on it. And I'm not terribly concerned about changing schools, if we thought it was going to be a (somewhat) permanent change. DS makes friends quickly and effortlessly. He would do very well with the change. HOWEVER, if we switched to the private school and then realized that we needed to switch to another school, all within a year or two, DS would not like that too much. (And I wouldn't like wasting the money on top of this.)

What I am realizing is that I am afraid of homeschooling DS for the long haul. I actually LOVE homeschooling him. He loves it too. I just don't see how I could possibly be qualified for the whole run of it.