I have found myself seeing DS5 differently after learning his test results showing giftedness. I used to think he was bright when he was young, but what parent doesn't feel that way? Then, after being behind in class, I really felt there would be a LD. None was found (at this time), but a confirmation of giftedness was given.

I shouldn't feel surprised and it shouldn't change how I view/treat DS. However, I must admit I'm thinking more about it and how I act with DS. I have even more involved conversations. Books from library used to be an assortment of award winners and random ones off the shelf, but are now fairly advanced. I've started expecting DS to understand more with regards to school work and I'm working mostly independently afterschool with him. We've shifted from busywork to concepts and only review when necessary and I've refused busywork for him now. I perceive him differently, less child-like and more intellectual and adult-like.

Also, my DD2, whom I feel is more advanced than DS was at her age in some ways, I have started to really encourage intellectually instead of just playing toddler stuff with.

I wonder if my hyperawareness regarding intellectual pursuits will be temporary. I hope I'm doing better to provide a more stimulating environment for my DC. Is this a common way to react after finding an official diagnosis of G?

Life is the hardest teacher. It gives the test first and then teaches the lesson.