Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
I have found myself seeing DS5 differently after learning his test results showing giftedness. I used to think he was bright when he was young, but what parent doesn't feel that way? Then, after being behind in class, I really felt there would be a LD. None was found (at this time), but a confirmation of giftedness was given.

I shouldn't feel surprised and it shouldn't change how I view/treat DS. However, I must admit I'm thinking more about it and how I act with DS. I have even more involved conversations. Books from library used to be an assortment of award winners and random ones off the shelf, but are now fairly advanced. I've started expecting DS to understand more with regards to school work and I'm working mostly independently afterschool with him. We've shifted from busywork to concepts and only review when necessary and I've refused busywork for him now. I perceive him differently, less child-like and more intellectual and adult-like.

Also, my DD2, whom I feel is more advanced than DS was at her age in some ways, I have started to really encourage intellectually instead of just playing toddler stuff with.

I wonder if my hyperawareness regarding intellectual pursuits will be temporary. I hope I'm doing better to provide a more stimulating environment for my DC. Is this a common way to react after finding an official diagnosis of G?
My husband and I don't really parent differently. We tend to be on the intellectual side so there are a lot of those pursuits in our home. We also travel frequently and explore new things, we have always felt like these things are important. I wonder if that might be why we never thought of our daughter as gifted until she started school? I do advocate more actively for her formal education now as when she started I took a more hands off approach. I tend to believe environment has a lot to do with IQ though (I know that not everyone does) so perhaps the environment is one of the reasons DD tests well (who knows) ??
I certainly advocate more aggressively as a parent but I think that fundamentally I parent the same way as before.
In general, no. However, I think we are more open to higher-level materials and experiences (offering and/or taking him to them), that said he was dragging us along that path since he could speak, we are just more involved in seeking out gifted weekend activities, etc.

We are more skeptical of what we hear about/from schools (part of this is due to a terrible school experience that led to the testing).

We still struggle with the gap between this smart, logical little person and his seeming lack of ability to follow our directions at times. "How can you not get that our telling you x five times will lead to consequences."
No different, we respond to DS as he is. All testing told us is how uncommon his skills are from norm, sets my filter differently for other kids his age.
Yes and no.

Yes in the sense that after I was told our son was gifted I must have read nearly a dozen books on gifted ed last summer, which really helped put a lot of things into perspective. Such as... his persistence is innate and he really, truly needs specificity. No weasel words such as "maybe later". I find less issues with him if I spell it out and try to think like he would to cover all of my bases. Kind of like closing up loopholes.

To be honest, reading the books helped me "get" my hubby a lot better too. So I would say that I'm a bit more tolerant/understanding of some of the quirks that can come with high IQ people (the OEs, especially).

No in the sense that we have always looked at toys/activities/games/books with an open mind. The ages listed on them are suggestions that relate to most kids.
We mostly parent the same way, but having DD tested and learning about the nature of giftedness has had an influence, as any new knowledge should.

On the upside, DW learned to stop worrying and love the emotional intensity that comes with it, in both DD and myself. We were also better informed on the potential dangers of perfectionism, which allowed us to be more aggressive in combating that.

On the downside... I can confess falling victim to the mentality where every time DD shows an interest in something new that it could be A BIG THING for her, based on her natural abilities. It makes wonderful bait for the push-parenting trap.
For parenting, it does not change how we handle the situations at home - but it does mean I tend to now ignore the ages of materials/books and look more at the content to decide whether to get them (I used to stay closer to recommended ages) although we still watch for choking hazards due to our 1-year old getting into DS's stuff all the time. It is also setting the stage for us to be able to use the testing results to push for what DS needs outside of the home(and for us, planning for long term schooling).

Although I am still struggling with what is "normal" for his age group and what is not since he is normal to us - so in that respect, I still find that difficult to figure out.
Also - sad as it is to me, I also found the testing results tends to make me silent about DS more when talking outside of the family about DS due to concerns of looking like we are "bragging" or "hot-housing" - so I find it a little isolating as parents dealing with local parents here.
Yes, the biggest change has been toy-based (after book changes). I mostly am now looking at better quality toys that are content appropriate vs age appropriate. We also have fairly intellectual conversations and pursuits as a family as well, so I guess that hasn't changed much. I allow much less TV also at home, and turn on more documentaries or something with a little knowledge in them.
I definitely do parent differently. I support his interests and help him go as deeply into those topics as he wants to without being dismissive. I constantly try to "find the ceiling" and see how far he can go. He continues to surprise me. I give him more responsibility because I know he can handle it. I advocate for him at school because now I understand why he complains about it. I seek out classes that will appeal to kids like him. I am finding social groups to attend so he doesn't feel so different. I research constantly to try to understand what might come next, what it means, the things to watch out for, ideas on how to challenge him, and what this new normal looks like in the future. These are all the beautiful things about being blessed with a highly intelligent child. I love having deep discussions with my 6yo because he thinks as deeply as many adults. He has helped me rediscover my own love of learning and opened my eyes to my own giftedness. Testing has changed every member of our family and has made us better parents. The insight has been massively helpful in understanding his strengths and weaknesses. I knew he was bright, but testing helped me realize just how rare and special he is.
Originally Posted by Dude
We mostly parent the same way, but having DD tested and learning about the nature of giftedness has had an influence, as any new knowledge should.

On the upside, DW learned to stop worrying and love the emotional intensity that comes with it, in both DD and myself. We were also better informed on the potential dangers of perfectionism, which allowed us to be more aggressive in combating that.

On the downside... I can confess falling victim to the mentality where every time DD shows an interest in something new that it could be A BIG THING for her, based on her natural abilities. It makes wonderful bait for the push-parenting trap.

Having introspected a bit more I think that Dude's post exactly matches my own experiences to a tee - especially the bit about The Next Big Thing LOL
Not really. DS's IQ scores and subscores came as no surprise--they fit really well with my perception of his overall learning styles, cognitive strengths and weaknesses, speed of learning and interest. So we simply kept doing what we did. DD never had an IQ test because I didn't think it would add much to my understanding of who she is--her abilities, interests and personalities were really obvious (DS took the test because we applied to a GT school which needed the s.cores).)
Originally Posted by queencobra
I definitely do parent differently. I support his interests and help him go as deeply into those topics as he wants to without being dismissive. I constantly try to "find the ceiling" and see how far he can go. He continues to surprise me. I give him more responsibility because I know he can handle it. I advocate for him at school because now I understand why he complains about it. I seek out classes that will appeal to kids like him. I am finding social groups to attend so he doesn't feel so different. I research constantly to try to understand what might come next, what it means, the things to watch out for, ideas on how to challenge him, and what this new normal looks like in the future. These are all the beautiful things about being blessed with a highly intelligent child. I love having deep discussions with my 6yo because he thinks as deeply as many adults. He has helped me rediscover my own love of learning and opened my eyes to my own giftedness. Testing has changed every member of our family and has made us better parents. The insight has been massively helpful in understanding his strengths and weaknesses. I knew he was bright, but testing helped me realize just how rare and special he is.

I think this was beautifully written. This is what a aspire to do.

Then, last night at IKEA he was a regular 5 year old, so excited at the ball pit he was jumping and squealing. I was equally excited for him too. grin

Honestly, though, I also have found myself trying to step up my game. I used to love to learn and explore and have slacked off after lifelong testing and studying. I'd finally gotten somewhat burnt out. Now I'm reading more (not high quality literature, but still), focusing on learning as entertainment on TV, and getting excited about science kits to do with DS.
No, I don't feel like I parent differently. I have always followed their interests and encouraged them to stretch themselves. This honestly hasn't been too hard, especially with DD. She always so obviously "got" things, no matter how age-inappropriate. Or didn't.

What I found has really changed is that I feel more validated in advocating for DD because now it's not just "I think she's incredibly bright"--now I have some solid evidence backing up my potentially biased opinion on the matter.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum