Originally Posted by SAHM
In many US states it is illegal to leave a child under the age of, I think, 10 or 11 unsupervised by an adult. I was shocked when I last looked into it, because I was unsupervised at a much much younger age. If other parents report it, your child might be picked up by an officer at the playground or you may get a visit.

No judgement here. Just thought you would want to know.
Really?? Last time I looked into it there was no particular age for 48 out of 50 states for leaving a child at home. These kids of laws vary state to state in the U.S. We have a law in my city, about leaving anyone under 15 overnight. And this is different situation from playing in the park while you are home.

OK a quick look and I found this list. There are more laws now than the last time I looked into it.

http://www.latchkey-kids.com/latchkey-kids-age-limits.htm

Don't agree with the absolute don't leave a kid under 12 alone that this site mentions. I feel it depends on the maturity of the kid and depends on the situation. And it's a gradual thing. While I wouldn't leave a 10 year old home for hours, or while I was gone a long distance, or every day after school. I was certainly leaving my kids at home by 9 for 30 minutes while I ran to the store.

Very surprised by the 14 rule for Illinois. The law reads "Any minor under the age of 14 years whose parent or other person responsible for the minor’s welfare leaves the minor without supervision for an unreasonable period of time without regard for the mental or physical health, safety or welfare of that minor."

The term unreasonable period of time, is a bit vague.

Last edited by bluemagic; 04/19/14 05:41 PM.