Okay, so here's a new problem in my life. DD6.0 is finally taking advantage of permission to go out into the neighborhood without me. (We live in a housing complex with its own playground and pedestrian paths between the buildings, very safe.) This is freaking out a few of the other parents, who still keep a closer eye on their children who are older than my DD.

To make matters worse, DD is tiny, barely 5th %ile for both height and weight, so people assume she's younger than she is. And on top of that, she simply is more mature and responsible that some other kids her age, so I am giving her more freedom than a parent might reasonably give a different kid.

DD is experiencing some of this blowback herself. The other day she got stopped by a couple of well-meaning adults who didn't know her, who were freaking out that she was lost, even though she explained to them that she wasn't lost.

Then there's the whole angle of parental guilt. Any time you let your child explore new freedoms, you're taking a risk. DD is very strong willed, she rides her scooter like a maniac, and I know for a fact that she will break some of the rules I'm setting for her, such as how far she's allowed to go. (I remember doing this myself as a child.)

Anyone else got experience with free-ranging your gifties?