IMO, free ranging is dependent on two factors: 1) how comfortable parents are with letting their kids free range and 2) is the environment in which the kid free ranges set up for that. In many cultures, including mine, free ranging is the standard practice. Everyone does it and there is an implicit understanding that one or more adults are watching the kids from a distance to jump in if needed. You always know all the kids on the block and which house they live in, who the parents are etc, even if you are not really on a first name basis with the parents. So when I go home to visit my parents, I feel very comfortable letting my dd4.5 play with the other kids without me being there. However, I could never let her do that here. I do let her play in the backyard as long as I keep an eye on her from inside. At the playground, I don't shadow her but sit at a distance and never lose sight of her. I do let her attempt to climb a tree or jump off a rock. It is okay if she gets a few bruises. However, I don't think I will ever let her free range in our safe suburban neighborhood when I know all parents are inside with no one watching. I would rather be extra cautious than let my child be hurt by someone.