We actually have a somewhat similar situation... Similar type grading and allegedly no one gets a "4" until maybe the last quarter. (And I have a 2e - dysgraphia and Ehelers Danlos). Honestly, I try not to let it get to me.... This year, DS constantly gets the equivalent of "3" (at least until the end of last when he got his "4s") and yet his achievement scores are so high. For example, in math, he constantly scores in the 93rd%ile on the WIAT, KTEA, and the WJIII and yet he has only ever gotten a 3 this year (though he ended last year with a "4"). In reading he is the highest reader in his class and has scored in the 4th grade level on a variety of reading tests (DRA, QRI, WJIII, etc) and yet he only got a "3" I find that odd. I also find this teacher seems to really tend to downplay where he is and his accomplishments/achievements. I get this vibe from her. But I don't let it get to me. Grades mean little in elementary school. I actually tend to keep his report card from him because he gets a little demoralized when it seems like the report isn't reflective really of where he is. And he keeps getting all those "needs work" on things like "listening" and "following directions" etc.. Our school calls those measures "qualities of a learner," which I think the teacher wants me to be more concerned about (b/c she'll draw my attention to them or reference them at the conference) but I barely look at those. I usually forget to look at them as they mean nothing to me... In fact, the better he does on those measures the more I'd be worried he was becoming a mindless compliant zombie. LOL. There is no "creative" on there, no "willing to take risks" on there, no "thinks outside the box" or "questions authority and thinks critically" on there - quite the opposite. So I try not to let it get to me.

Hope that helps a little.