My DS5 started school in Australia when he was three, but when we moved back to the States six months ago the school refused to put him in first grade saying the transition would be too great and that he was only just five (June birthday). I argued that he would be bored, disruptive, disengaged if made to "repeat" kindergarten. The school held firm and I caved. Now I am regretting that. He is being labeled a "behavior" problem because he can't keep his hands to himself, is disrespectful to teachers and other students, makes noises at inappropriate times, etc. He's been on four different behavior modification plans with limited success on the last one. He now says he hates school, has nightmares, chews his nails until they bleed, and has tantrums indiscriminately. This is all new behavior. I have been in constant contact with the teacher, counselor and principal and have even started taking him to a therapist to deal with the anxiety. I'm thinking about pushing for a mid-year acceleration. Does anyone have any experience with that or thoughts/suggestions for alternatives? They do do some in class differentiation, but it really isn't enough.