Originally Posted by somewhereonearth
I guess I also wonder, those of you with HG+ kids in high school, do you find that you have to spend the same amount of time advocating and "fighting" with the school to get needs met? Or are your children able to handle that mostly on their own?

I don't advocate for my teenager as much as I do for my younger kids. But that doesn't mean that the situation is a lot better. His coursework is as superficial as the stuff the other two get.

IMO, the bottom line is that most educators simply don't understand HG+ kids. I suppose in a way it's not really reasonable to expect them to grok what it means to be HG+. Very few people fit this description and there's no reason to expect that the teacher corps should be any different. But it is reasonable to expect them to know that HG+ kids have different needs and that there are inexpensive ways to meet them. There are lots of resources for this kind of information.

Right now I'm trying to find a way to get DS to a community college the year after next. But his age will complicate dual enrollment. This is my big advocacy project for him. And like HK said, it's a different kind of advocacy.