Originally Posted by mountainmom2011
She had a meeting with the teacher about a week ago and left confused and frustrated. The mom didn't really say anything to the teacher, the teacher just spent the 45 min complaining to the mom about the dd... in front of the dd.

I'm not sure what you mean by "complaining." It sounds inappropriate, but having a conference with the student present may be a way to discuss the problems both teacher and student are facing in a way that allows the student to be a part of the solution. However, the wording in your post sounds like this wasn't a conversation.

As far as the reflections go, is this a lack of understanding or a lack of compliance. If it's an issue of compliance, then I see three options:
1. Ask for fewer reflections. Perhaps only one for each problem type, if mastery is proven... but this is probably a long shot.
2. Teach that there are times when compliance is the best option... especially if there is a significant impact on her grade, and the student-teacher relationship is important for the future.
3. Teach that there are times when noncompliance is the best option... especially if there isn't a significant impact on her grade, and the student-teacher relationship isn't important for the future.

If it's a lack of understanding I'd ask the teacher to provide samples of good reflections that DD could analyze at home. Maybe telling her to "prove" her answer, or word it as if she's explaining it someone who doesn't understand how to work the problem would help too.

Good luck!

Last edited by KathrynH; 03/03/14 11:23 AM.