I have a friend who has a gifted 10 yo girl. I'm not sure of her LOG but I do know she's in 4th grade working on 7th grade math outside of school. She is in a gifted class (not a pull out) and they have her doing 5th grade math, the curriculum is Connected Math.

The issue is that the girl has no trouble doing the math problems but when it comes to writing the reflections she is not doing well according to the teacher (from what I understand the reflections are where they have to write paragraphs about how they solved the problems). The mom also tells me that when her dd doesn't understand something the teacher refuses to help her and sends her back to her desk to figure it out for herself.

My opinion is that doing math problems and writing about how you solved them are two different skills and just because you can solve problems doesn't necessarily mean you can put that into words on paper. I told the mom my opinion many times (this has been an ongoing complaint/issue for her) and I also told her I'm pretty certain her dd isn't the only one in the class that is probably struggling with this.

She had a meeting with the teacher about a week ago and left confused and frustrated. The mom didn't really say anything to the teacher, the teacher just spent the 45 min complaining to the mom about the dd... in front of the dd. She complained about how she is about 2 months behind in homework yet the mom wasn't even aware that this was the case b/c the dd didn't tell the mom. This is what the mom is the most mad about, why the teacher didn't let her know sooner that her dd was so far behind. The teacher is putting this on the dd but I think there comes a time where you need to involve the parent and 2 months is a little too long to wait.

My POV is the teacher is horrible and I'm not looking forward to when my 8 yo will be in her class.

Any advice for my friend?

Last edited by mountainmom2011; 03/03/14 09:41 AM.