My very happy, social and compliant boy hits out in his own way by calling me the "meanest mom on earth" - a phrase he picked up at lunch time in his school. He does not know that he is underchallenged, is very affectionate to his teacher and friends and hence feels bad to complain about school. He has to control his behavior all day long and his mini explosions come around bedtime. His subconscience tells him that he is not happy and he blames me for his unhappiness by saying that.
He is accelerated at school (not enough). At home we provide him all that we can to help him.
Would a grade skip help your son? My DH is vehemently against grade skips because he has concerns about maturity and handwriting requirements. So, we chose to go with acceleration. It alleviates some of the problems but not all. I think that if you can either skip a grade or use that mentor/tutor's help for reading class it should help somewhat.
Sometimes, kids don't understand the options that are available to them. They can only relate to the environment they are currently in and not some hypothetical better learning environment. My DS refused a mid-year transfer to a private school last year because he wanted to attend all the birthday parties of his classmates. So, we waited and changed schools at the year end. Now, he says that he wishes he had changed schools earlier. I am wondering if you can try homeschooling him during springbreak and see if he likes it enough to consider it ...

Last edited by ashley; 02/28/14 11:49 AM. Reason: spelling