I am to my wits end with DS6.4. I am not sure this is school related or something else. He says he doesn't want to go to school because he doesn't learn anything. But when given the option to be home schooled, he doesn't like that idea either. I am hoping you can help me sort this out. Some background:

He tested as PG with no learning disabilities. Straight forward PG kid. He is at a private school since K accelerated a year He missed the cut off by 2 months but was still allowed early entrance. Currently in 1st grade. He is doing EPGY instead of the regular math curriculum daily in school. He also does not have to do the phonics work for reading and does research on a topic that interests him instead. I am also giving him 8th grade spelling words (that he gets tested on) and more advanced worksheets to work on when he finishes his school work.

Seems to me the situation is pretty good. We had a blow up about the phonics book that he had to do at the pace of the rest of the class. I spoke to the teacher and said he didn't have to do it. I thought that would make things better. But still, he comes home and is AGGRESSIVE, and violent. Hitting, scratching, using bad language towards us etc. It is almost like any little thing triggers a rage attack. Mornings, although not all the time are bad. He doesn't want to get ready for school, and doesn't want to go. He is too busy working on whatever project he is involved in. (The other morning I found him and his 4 year old brother "working" at 4 AM)

I am sure many of you have experience with aggressive behavior resulting from frustration with school. But is that really WHAT it is?? From your experience, when this was going on, what was the reason and what did you do??

Thank you for reading. I am in desperate need of help. I feel like I am walking on eggshells with him. Just waiting for him to explode.