To be honest I am a bit confused/worried about the AB/BC Calc questions myself. A friend has me concerned that if my son doesn't do honors pre-calc next year... he might be required to take AB Calc junior year, only allowing him to take BC Calc as a senior. I'll admit I am a bit confused by this and I'm not sure this is correct. Claiming there are some changes in my district in the next year or two.

Just tried looking at the college board document and I find it confusing. The way this is written it seems a school can implement it either as AB being a pre-req for BC, or as two different levels of the same class.

http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/public/repository/ap-calculus-course-description.pdf

But AP Calculus is not necessary the benchmark. Keep in mind that if you are studying science or engineering at a top research university, even a 5 on BC Calculus doesn't cover all topics of a year of university calculus probably only the first semester. The topics that top universities cover is NOT the same as the AP courses. And what they expect as prerequisites may not be the same.