My district places Geometry between Algebra & Algebra II even for the "honors" versions. And this was the path I remember from both high schools I attended. Trigonometry was introduced a bit in Geometry (just one chapter), there will be more two more chapters of Trig this year at the end of Algebra II. And then my understanding more Trig is taught in Pre-Calc.

My son's H. Geometry class was a year course taught in in junior high but supposed to be as rigorous as the Honors High School course. I could look up what text was used, my son's Algebra II book is Prentice Hall. I honestly don't remember what particular subjects they covered, as my son asked for & needed no help. There is NO problem finding enough material for an honors Geometry math class. For one my DD who took "regular" Geometry was never asked to write any proofs, while my son in Honors did a LOT of proofs.

My son did some Linear Algebra this past fall the first quarter of Algebra II.

My understanding is one takes EITHER AP Calc AB OR AP Calc BC. That is the way it was when I was in high school, and the way it is currently in my son's high school. Although that might change as the AP tests are undergoing quite a lot of overhaul.

So it really depends on what texts they use and how they break it up. As far as I always new the "normal" high school sequence was always Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, Pre-Calculus. And IF you took Algebra before H.S. then you can get to AB or BC Calc. And at our H.S. if you finished that ahead there aren't any more advanced classes, they recommend AP Stats or AP Computer Science.

Last edited by bluemagic; 02/26/14 05:05 PM.