I have finally arrived at the point where I need to figure out recommendations/suggestions for DS for math the last quarter. Even as much as we have been stretching it out, it is unlikely that the last 10% of the Algebra I course will last beyond the third quarter. (DS takes an online algebra course through the school district and also has access to a live teacher one day a week (most weeks) because he is still in elementary (5th). I am thinking independent study with one of the AOPS books (not Algebra II or Geometry but maybe Counting or . . .) along with Alcumus. I am also considering programming but it may not pass the bureaucratic hurdles if it is not even technically math.

Anyhow, that isn't why I am disturbed. As a result of the above-described situation, I did research into our district's mathematics program to ascertain the courses/curriculums, particularly in view of pending changes some administrator had warned me about previously. Starting with next year, GT Geometry precedes GT Algebra II. There is nothing inherently wrong with sandwiching Geomety between the two years of Algebra and that is in fact the traditional sequence for non-GT and non-Honors math. However, both my own school district and DS' school district (thousands of miles and decades apart) have always placed Geometry after Algebra II for GT students. I believe one of the compelling reasons (when I was in school) is because trigonometry, which is combined with Geometry into a one-year course, is considered more difficulty than Algebra II. One of my concern is how painful it will be for GT students to have to spend a whole school year on just Geometry. Does anyone have experience with a decent GT geometry course that spans a whole year? Furthermore, Pre-Calculus is also a whole year (two semester) course instead of one semester when I took it. I can see how that can stretch to a year if they throw in trigonmetry and probably some stuff that were formerly covered in Algebra II so that may not be too bad. However, AP Calculus AB is now also a whole year as oppose to one semester when I took it. I suppose it is possible that they are taking some of the material from AP Calculus BC (the following year) and teaching it in Calculus AB, but in that case there will be less material to teach in Calculus BC. In any case, this is definitely watering down of the curriculum and I can't see how it would serve the high ability population. I also don't see Differential Equations and Linear Algebra in the flow-chart, but it may be that they just don't want to advertise it. That last point I am less worried about because by that time there should still be dual enrollment and I imagine that on-line options would be more and not less acceptable.

I am tempted to blame it on our district's implementation of Common Core, but whatever the impetus, the result is disturbing.