Originally Posted by indigo
Originally Posted by Irena
I can't even get people to believe my child when he says a teacher says discriminating remarks.
My apologies, my post was not about whether one ought to believe your son, it was about whether the contents of your post actually documented a breach of IEP.

it's okay, I appreciate your apology... I know you don't know the entire back story. It was more than an IEP violation it's discrimination. EVERY YEAR, the paras (teacher's aids) shame my son... Every year at least one or two "specials" teachers (these are the "art" teachers, health teacher, etc) have a problem with my son receiving accommodations. Last year the person assigned to scribe for my DS gave him such a hard time about it he stopped asking for the accommodation. It took a few months before I found out what was going on. She was really mean to him. Last year a "specials" teacher asked the entire class in front of my son if the class could confirm that my son had a disability and does he get accommodations for that disability. It is on-going issue with this school. This year the language arts/reading/spelling teacher has twice denied or tried to deny my son hos accommodations. Twice, I have had to intervene. Now this. And DS said this is not the first time she said this to him... he said she often says it when he requests his scribing accommodation...

Well, I said this, in part, in an email to the principal this morning:

the reason the discriminatory comments and violations continue from teachers, paras and staff is because you simply do not believe DS when he reports them and your staff knows it. As a result, no one is educated and no action is taken because you never believe DS. Obviously, you are not making "every effort" because my son still routinely suffers verbal abuse and discrimination when he needs to access his accommodations. The reason? Because you decide to not believe the reported discrimination and therefore do nothing to stop it.

Well, that got his attention because, low and behold, instead of the routine denial that the remarks ever happened, he actually admitted it happened and that he spoke with the para to not do that again.

But I am so sick of this. Every time this happens more of his self-esteem is crushed. This stuff is often said in front of other students and that affects him. I am seriously seriously, seriously considering not signing the Medicaid form that allows them to bill Medicaid for my son's "special education" category and his therapies. I have to consent to that by signing a form and I need to my yearly consent in March. I told the special-ed teacher I am not signing it this year. I am not giving consent until I stop hearing these kind of stories coming from my son. It is crushing him and don't know what else to do to get the school to do something to stop it.

Last edited by Irena; 02/26/14 02:09 PM.