Dear Aquinas,

I hope that I can help. Both my husband and I are bilingual in French and English (we live in a French-speaking country and have English speaking parents)and we chose early on and with the pediatrician's advice to assign one language to each parent. DS (now 24 mos) was primarily exposed to English from birth as I took an extended maternity leave and my parents who take care of him twice a week only speak English to him. Then he entered preschool where they only speak French. DH continues to primarily speak French with him. And it's working out pretty well.

You mention that you speak French fluently. I would definitely use this to my advantage if I were you but to for an easy transition before speaking to him at greater lengths in French, I would speak both languages to your child when referring to specific words...E.g my son refers to his hand as "main" so I will respond by saying for example "donne moi ta main" and immediately follow it by "give me your hand". I often as him to repeat the word in English if he answers in French and he complies.

Other tricks, French comptine songs found on youtube (there are some sung by French Canadian speakers) which you can sing together, reading books together and asking him questions in French, and if he plays with toys, V-tech and Fischer price make devices that change the language setting...Once interested, you know these little ones will want more! (DS requests to watch Little Einsteins in Russian every time so although we don't speak a word, we go with the flow! We expand it by playing Russian composers etc...)

From what I have seen so, children learn languages faster and more profoundly if a primary caretaker uses the language rather than if he/she is solely exposed to classes, which IMHO can be a little boring and not as effective if the language is not being used on a daily basis...

Hope this helps...