We speak two languages in our house too. English and Czech. We've spoken both languages to the boys since the day they were born but the first two years or so Czech was a priority as we knew they would pick up English no matter what but Czech was going to be a hassle. Even now I speak both languages to them and DS5.4 flat out refuses to speak Czech. He understands most of what I (and others) say but he will NOT speak any Czech with an exception of maybe 3 words (and he insists those are English! lol). Even when my mom who does not speak a single word of English comes for a visit and usually stays 4-8 weeks, he still refuses to talk in Czech and just finds other ways to communicate with her. He says "It's not my language" and that's it for him. He can say more in Spanish just from what he's picked up on TV! I'm hoping he'll change his mind once we go overseas for the Summer in a year or two. DS3.10 is still very speech delayed, plus diagnosed with Autism but we have seen huge improvements in his speech the last month or so. And he's just now in the repeating stage like a little two year old who repeats everything he hears, and he doesn't care if it's Czech or English, he uses them both. I can see him being fluent in both languages (plus other languages on top of those two) once he figures the whole spoken language thing out. He's the one who started reading before 2.5 so words and languages are his thing. I've seen him practice Italian and Dutch words on the Kindle! lol

Anyways, this is just to say that no matter how hard you try and what plan you have, a lot depends on each and every child and the level of their stubbornness! You'd think that a 5 year old with two parents who are native Czech speakers and a 20 year old brother who speaks both English and Czech, he'd be fluent in Czech but no! He's just too hard headed and it's all about English for him!