Just my opinion, but, yes, please advocate for the higher reading level. Hopefully, your state requires the school to meet your child's needs. I can only relate the frustrations that I felt. An advanced reader can jump right over babyish books. Our child preferred textbooks on science topics and was precocious with advanced ability in that area and, it never was received well. People do not understand it; they think the parents are pushing. They have nothing to compare it against. It confounds them. Meanwhile, a child who is an advanced reader is so lucky and rarely bored if the appropriate materials are provided. I found so many people who should have been helpful, just plain-out were not and I can't even blame them. They could not believe it. But, one way or another, I always went around the system and did what worked for our family and when our child grows up, he can advocate for himself. For example, I can already think of a handful of college majors that are just too easy for gifted students. I always took the hardest level classes and as many of them as allowed. A gifted brain needs to be challenged and constantly enriched or the person may not be happy. Hope it helps. Good Luck!