Now maybe my son is an anomaly but his reading program begins each lesson with a whole group lesson (story) that is on grade level....everyone on, below, above, limited English speaker or not...reads that story, works through it as a large group. Then they have small groups where they are grouped a bit by levels (really not specific levels...just on, at, below level and ELL) for a story related to the first one. The thing is there aren't readers for his outlier reading level. His class is fourth grade and the above level second story group he is in is probably 5th grade, his reading level in October was 7th grade. They just tested him again and he got 9th grade (not grade equivalency, but his independent reading level...his instructional level is even higher). So just with his independent reading being his choice and getting classroom instruction below his level he increased 2 grade levels in 4 months. Either it is okay to get instruction below level with additional reading that he selects at a higher, challenging level or my kid is just a freak who is going to grow no matter what.

But unless he went to the middle school next door for reading there really isn't a way for them accommodate him with the classroom materials. I am also thinking of my 9th grade lit text book. He is 9 and he isn't interested in Silas mariner, Romeo and Juliet, and 70 % of the other stories at a 9 th grade level. So as long as he is happy, I am happy.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary