OK, I'm not terribly wise, but fwiw I'd let this one go. BUT - I'm the parent who let all the reading instruction go and never worried about it. I'm guessing if he's the only child "on white" level in his class, that means the kids he's reading Ready Freddy with are most likely the other more advanced readers in his class if they are at 28-30. I know it's frustrating to think he could be reading higher level books, but if he's enjoying what he's reading, just go with it. Our ds was never given any accelerated instruction in reading but he managed to stay way above grade level anyway, and reading comprehension and vocabulary were things that just seemed to "happen" without any help. OTOH, if you feel like your isn't making those huge leaps in progress from what you see at home and if you feel like he's stagnating re reading at school, then press on and be sure they instruct him at his level.

JMO, but I think that sometimes we have to pick the battles we fight, and with our 2e kiddos, it's probably more important at this age and grade to be fighting to ensure that the school is giving your child appropriate accommodations and remediation for his disability. If you can do that and get accelerated instruction in reading, that's great.. but if you have to choose which battles to pick, I'd let the reading go.

I can't remember which grade your ds is in (first or second?)... but fwiw by 3rd grade here, our schools were dropping leveled reading groups all together. There was still testing to make sure children were progressing on track but there were no longer restrictions on which books children were allowed to choose from for free reading, and the entire class was reading the same book together, integrated with social studies. The smaller reading groups that existed in kindergarten and first grade when kids were learning to read were gone by 3rd grade. Soooo.. it's possible that if you expend a lot of energy at this point on the level/group fight... you are fighting for something that isn't going to exist after this school year anyway. But the need for accommodations etc is something that your ds will need throughout his school years.

Best wishes,

polarbear