Originally Posted by indigo
That would be a very young spouse! shocked blush Based on the context of the message, I presume this was meant to be DD who is 11. smile

Ooops. Worst typo ever!

There is a possible red flag if a child "feels like she has to be extra mature in her classes because all the kids are older", as there is a difference between this and a child who naturally is more mature and on the wave length of the older students, finding herself to be more interested in the things which may be on their minds (world issues, careers, etc), and finding the older students to be a closer match intellectually.

I understand what you mean. Though she's really inconsistent about it. Many of her friends are a couple of years older and in the classes where she's with more of her age range she complains that the other kids are immature. So I think it's more about finding her place and understanding who she is (the work of a lifetime I suppose). Her middle school classes have a few other younger kids too. There's a 6-year-old in her Biology class who also takes Algebra II.

It makes sense that a school that is that flexible will attract more gifted kids than a random population neighborhood school. The kids who's parent are willing/able to be flexible end up in the few corners where they can get what they need.

Thank you for all your other good suggestions as well. I think in our heads we still think we have many years to sort this stuff out, but we may not. There's a sort of inherited knowledge that you get as your child enters middle and then high school that I think we might be missing. I think we'll have to make a concerted effort in tracking more of that knowledge down.