My children have to do 100 book challenge at school, and have their DRA levels tested quarterly. For 100 book challenge - they are assigned books at a certain color level, and must read books from that level in class for 15-30 minutes and as homework for 15 minutes each day. They bring 4-6 books home from school to read each day. The color levels roughly correspond to certain DRA levels, but as far as I can tell, no child is allowed to move more than one grade level ahead.

I usually ask them to read at least one of the books from school for the home reading, but sometimes let them read other books, such as their library books, instead. I do try to ask the comprehension questions and have them read to me occasionally for practice. I do make them choose fiction books most of the time, as the assessments are all done using fiction.

The 100 book challenge philosophy has to do with practicing reading that is easy for the child, but my children usually find the books at their level to be so easy they are incredibly boring.

Interestingly, our school also uses Raz-Kids, which is an online system that allows reading and listening to books along with comprehension questions. They can choose books from the assigned level, or choose any book at their level or above. Both of my twins regularly choose books in raz-kids that are well above the DRA level assessed by the school and do well on the quizzes. I am somewhat looking forward to the next parent/teacher conference because this should be an interesting point of discussion.

They are allowed to check any book out of the library.

Last edited by momoftwins; 01/29/14 10:11 AM.