Yesterday ds looked at this sample ACT question and was not told how to solve it.

The lead of a screw is the distance that the screw advances in a straight line when the screw is turned 1 complete turn. The screw is 2 1/2 inches long and has a lead of 1/8 inch. How many complete turns would get it all the way into a piece of wood.

Once he'd read the problem it took him about two seconds to figure it out and solve it. He did it in his head and he was correct.

This morning I randomly asked him, while he was on minecraft, to tell me what 8 times 7 is and it took him about 2 seconds to answer.

I don't know what this means other than when he's relaxed and confident he can think deeply in math.
As for the timed recall, I imagine if he hadn't been distracted by minecraft and I had told him to hurry up, or told him he was being timed, it may have taken him longer.

Conversely, I am very fast in recalling times tables. I could have said the answer in a fraction of a second. But it would have taken me longer to think about the problem above and solve it.

And I want to add, I'm so grateful for all the responses this thread received. This particular subject I feel passionate about because I've known for years that ds is gifted in math but his confidence has slowly been eroded over the years through timed tests and the assumption that fast means good and slow means bad.

I've been working with him, a little bit every day, about ten minutes at most, because his math avoidance is so prevalent and strong.

Two days ago he gave me a hug and thanked me for working with him. And the best thing ever was the moment when he told me he loved math.

Last edited by KADmom; 12/29/13 11:00 AM.