DS (turned 11 last week) began EPGY in 4th grade and went through their 5th-6th course in a bit under two months, next completed Honors Pre-Algebra in about a month and a half; finally completing 4th grade by doing Honors Algebra. He worked alone almost entirely which was great as before EPGY I felt I was too involved in his math.

He took the summer off for math but took AoPS Intro to Python Programming which was difficult for him. I contacted a local university about 2/3 of the way through the course and found a student to tutor him for what turned out to be about 10 hours. The tutor really helped him understand and he enjoyed the course and now really likes to write programs. I think the AoPS course was hard in general but also he struggled to type quickly enough to be too involved. It was his first time being involved in an online chat learning format and I think it was difficult for him but all in all a great experience. I was not really involved at all except for at the very beginning to see how the course worked and the chat was being moderated.

He began 5th grade this year and started EPGY Intermediate Algebra which he completed in two months so he recently started Intro to Geometry and is definitely being challenged but seems to enjoy it. I think Intro to Geometry is the first real challenge he has faced with his EPGY courses, not so much that he did not learn in the other courses as he definitely did, but it did not seem to be overly tough for him.

I think it will take him about 4 to 5 months to complete the Geometry course. Afterwards I hope for him to do the AoPS courses on Counting/Probability and then Number Theory. I purchased the books and am hoping he can do it without the online class as the timing is not great for us.

FYI - my son is in public school but is able to work on his EPGY math course during the math period.